"Advent, this powerful liturgical season that we are beginning, invites us to pause in silence to understand a presence. It is an invitation to understand that the individual events of the day are hints that God is giving us signs of the attention he has for each one of us.”
-Pope Benedict XVI

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Waiting for Christmas

The bishop of Salt Lake is urging Catholics to wait until Christmas to celebrate Christmas.

Well, we've all been seeing the Christmas decoration in the stores (and sometimes in our neighborhoods) and hearing the Christmas carols since Halloween, so the bishop does have a point. With my crew of youngsters, though, I don't know how I could hold them off. They begged us to put up the tree on the day after Thanksgiving. Initially, I was only going to put the lights on, but the following Saturday, we went ahead and got out the ornaments.

Saying "no" to decorating for Christmas just seems awfully Scrooge-y to me. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Once again, I agree. It's so hard. We have the tree up and naked and no lights on the house yet (but honestly, it has as much to do with our schedule as anything!). While I completely understand the point, and I know the liturgical Christmas season hasn't started yet, I do feel like a house decorated for Christmas - and a lighted tree showing through the window - declares we are Christians, and that's not an opportunity I want to pass on!

    Besides, something I once heard ;) led me to believe that we can NEVER assume that all people know that the baby in the manger is the same guy who died on the cross!

    ReplyDelete