"Advent, this powerful liturgical season that we are beginning, invites us to pause in silence to understand a presence. It is an invitation to understand that the individual events of the day are hints that God is giving us signs of the attention he has for each one of us.”
-Pope Benedict XVI

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Our Day 4

So, the Nativity set.

The thing of it is, I've longed for a really beautiful set, but we just haven't had the dollars to justify it. We have a small set -- the tallest figure is maybe 6 inches tall. I can't remember where we got it, but I think my mother-in-law gave each of her kids one of these. Individual figures that you set on a small wooden oval. It's attractive, and it's worked just fine.

Until tonight, when my youngest was going to set out just the sheep and shepherds, saving the Holy Family for the 14th, like the calendar says, and saving the Magi for the Feast of the Epiphany. And that's when we realized: no shepherds, no sheep.

All we have is Mary, Joseph, Baby Jesus in a manger, and three Magi. I don't know why I didn't think of it before tonight!

This provoked some whining, a few tears and quite a bit of consternation. But what can we do? I suggested that she color a picture of a shepherd and some sheep instead and was met with grumbling.

Well, there's always tomorrow. Except we're doing Friday's activity (turning old Christmas cards into ornaments) tomorrow because we dont have time for Thursday's.

Not quite a fail tonight, but close...

1 comment: