"Advent, this powerful liturgical season that we are beginning, invites us to pause in silence to understand a presence. It is an invitation to understand that the individual events of the day are hints that God is giving us signs of the attention he has for each one of us.”
-Pope Benedict XVI

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Our Day 14

Even though I had sent five or six boxes and bags of outgrown/unwanted clothes to our local Catholic Social Services gift & thrift store about a week before Thanskgiving, I was able to come up with four more grocery sacks today. Which means that (a) my kids are growth-spurting again and (b) when I was thrift-shopping for winter stuff this past year, I completely underestimated what sizes my oldest and youngest kids would be this year and (c) we have too much stuff in general.

Alas, the one thing I completely forgot to do was take the kids to the local Catholic hospital this morning, where they were having a big Christmas party with free food and crafts and somebody dressed like my middle kid's patron saint. She was pretty upset when she brought it to my attention and I had to tell her that the event had ended 45 minutes earlier. I'm not too happy we missed it, either.

The rest of the day was spent on housework, interviewing somebody for an article I'm writing, making progress on a couple of Christmas presents, and working on my ornaments. I make an angel ornament every year, and this year's is turning out pretty well. It's not as time consuming as some of my previous years, either. I'm about half done, and I've only given it about 4 hours.

The wind is howling outdoors. The children are nestled all snug in their beds, and my husband and I are settling down to watch the Nero Wolf "Christmas Party" episode. Two weeks till Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment