"Advent, this powerful liturgical season that we are beginning, invites us to pause in silence to understand a presence. It is an invitation to understand that the individual events of the day are hints that God is giving us signs of the attention he has for each one of us.”
-Pope Benedict XVI

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Avent hymns

Over at the Faith & Family blog, they are discussing Advent hymns.

There are some Christians who try to hold off on the Christmas carols until Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Instead, they listen to songs that are more aligned with this season of expectation.

I don't know about you, but I might as well try to stop a runaway train as keep my family from listening to Christmas carols. It was hard enough to hold them off until Thanksgiving week.

Anyway, if you're up for it, here's one list of Advent songs from churchyear.net, and here's a list of Advent songs from fullhomelydivinity.org (an Anglican site). Can you think of any others to add?

1 comment:

  1. I haven't checked out the link yet, but I'm very interested. The carols/Advent hymns question is really hard for me. Aside from the runaway train quality =), I really want my kids to know the lyrics to carols about Christ's birth better than the more secular songs.

    ReplyDelete