"Advent, this powerful liturgical season that we are beginning, invites us to pause in silence to understand a presence. It is an invitation to understand that the individual events of the day are hints that God is giving us signs of the attention he has for each one of us.”
-Pope Benedict XVI

Friday, November 26, 2010

Welcome to Family Advent 2010

It's like this.

My husband and I are converts to the Catholic faith, and we're still trying to get the hang of Advent. We want to make it meaningful and spiritually enriching for our whole family.

Every year, the kids bring home a Family Advent calendar like the one I've linked to on the left (the 2010 edition provided by our parish school). This year, we're really going to do it.

Frankly, I'm a little nervous. I'm a busy working mom, and sometimes, I make great plans and never have the time to follow through. But most of these things are really easy to do, and my kids really want to follow the calendar this year, so we're going to try it. I may have to switch some days -- for example, they have us baking cookies for a nursing home on a Thursday, which will be impossible with our schedule, so we'll do that the next day and move Friday's activity to Thursday.

Every Saturday, I'll post the list of materials we'll need to complete the calendar during the week. I will also note any changes that we might have to make.

Every day beginning this Sunday, Nov. 28, I'll post the day's activity from our calendar in the morning. Please feel free to post your activities at any time during the day. I'll post ours after the kids go to bed (which is usually my first opportunity to sit down in front of the computer). 

Please chime in and let me know what you're doing with your family each day. Recipes, crafts, devotions, prayers -- it's all good. And by the way, ALL Christians are welcome to participate -- Advent isn't a Catholic-only thing.

May God bless us all this Advent!

3 comments:

  1. I love your calendar. I am going to print this one off and use it. I am looking forward to following this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. <<<>>>

    I had no idea you were cooking this up. With all your time constraints... WOW. This is fantastic. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what a beautiful profile you wrote, too. We are so blessed to have our Catholic schools here!

    ReplyDelete