"Advent, this powerful liturgical season that we are beginning, invites us to pause in silence to understand a presence. It is an invitation to understand that the individual events of the day are hints that God is giving us signs of the attention he has for each one of us.”
-Pope Benedict XVI

Saturday, November 27, 2010

How to Make an Advent Wreath

Our first advent wreath was basically four small candle holders buried into an artificial wreath and set on a wooden disk. Then one July, I found a small brass advent candle holder on clearance at Yankee Candle for $6, so I nabbed it. Now we simply set that in the middle of the wreath -- super easy.

Here are some instructions for making Advent wreaths.

General instructions from Our Sunday Visitor
Kid-friendly version at Amazing Moms
One using natural greenery at About.com
Here's one to make out of paper or felt with preschoolers at First-School.com
...and another cleverly made of a paper plate, toilet paper tubes and tissue paper by blogger Karen

Advent candles can be hard to come by. I purchased one of the last three sets available at the Hallmark store near my office on Wednesday. I usually shop at our local Catholic Bookstore, Gloria Deo, but I didn't have time these past few weeks, and I was afraid they might have run out. You can also go to a candle shop or craft store and buy individually wrapped candles, but it's been difficult for me to find pink and purple candles these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment