"Advent, this powerful liturgical season that we are beginning, invites us to pause in silence to understand a presence. It is an invitation to understand that the individual events of the day are hints that God is giving us signs of the attention he has for each one of us.”
-Pope Benedict XVI

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Our Day 1

So far, so good. We went to Mass this morning and celebrated the first day of Advent with donuts afterwards. I wasn't planning on that, but it was funny to watch the kids coerce my husband with the justification: "It is too a special occasion -- it's the first day of Advent!"

We did a little preparation for Christmas this afternoon. I took the 6-yr-old to a fabric store to buy fleece for a "tied blanket" for her big brother and started the 8-yr-old on her project for Dad. As a family, we stretched the net lights over the bushes and got those plugged in. Each of the kids had to put new lights on their mini-trees. The boy has his in his bedroom and the two little girls keep theirs in the attic windows.

While I roasted a chicken and mashed potatoes for supper, the kids set the table as extravagantly as they could and set up the Advent wreath. My husband led the prayers and the youngest one lit the first candle. After dinner, the middle kid blew it out (oh, what lengths we go in the name of fairness!).

The children are all brimming over with anticipation. They're all big enough to make gifts for each other and keep secrets, so that's pretty cool.

I'm finishing up a project that's due tomorrow and then I'll have some private time for prayer and thanksgiving before bed. Last year, I prayed for a number of families who have left the Church every night during Advent. It's kind of funny to look back on the "progress" these families have made -- if you could call it out. It was mostly "no change," but one mother is showing a renewed interest in religion. Buddhism, actually, but it's a start. One of the other couples has had a really bad year and are tottering on the edge of divorce, which is horrible. Then again, sometimes we have to hit rock bottom to allow ourselves to reach out to God.

When I first became a Christian, having been raised atheist, it was hard for me to develop a habit of prayer. I still can get quite discouraged if I don't see the "answer" I want in a short amount of time. But the Lord has been very patient, and I really have learned that prayer always leads to something positive, even if I can't see it straight away. And when He takes us through a journey that seems to be counterproductive, we've always had it come out better than expected. Seriously.

Remind me sometime to tell you about the morning my husband prayed for guidance with our finances and then was hit by an armored truck full of money as he walked to work. As horrible as that part was, the long run has been exceptional.

How was your first day of Advent? Please let me know!

2 comments:

  1. I just became your first follower. I feel so cool. ;)

    My Advent wreath sadly is no longer with us... gravity + crystal = disaster. So I had #3 color an Advent wreath for us and we used the USCCB prayers online. That's so handy!

    I love your idea of praying for specific families at Advent... and the long-term progress. I was just thinking of some cases like that this afternoon and was amazed at the long-term "after" view! I have some prayers of thanksgiving to get to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo...sorry about the broken Advent wreath! But hey, you should be able to get a great deal on a new one after Christmas. I know how much you love the deals...

    ReplyDelete